BCAA Supplements Guide
What Are Amino Acids?
Amino acids are organic molecules that are normally found in the body and they play the important role of acting as the building blocks of proteins which are very vital for different body functions. On a daily basis, for the body to function optimally it needs several amino acids amongst them nine amino acids that are considered essential since they cannot be produced by the body. These amino acids are; lysine, methionine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, threonine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, and valine. The major source of these amino acids has always been proteins found in chicken, beef, milk, and salmon.
What Are BCAAs?
Amongst these amino acids are three amino acids that are normally referred to as the Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) since they differ in structure from the other amino acids. They are isoleucine, leucine, and valine and they are very crucial in the body for different metabolic and physiological functions. Since their discovery and their specific benefits were identified they have always been packaged together as BCAA supplements for different groups to support their health needs.
Benefits Of Branched Chain Amino Acids
- They Are Good For Building Muscles – If you are in an intense muscle building or weight training programme then you will find these amino acids very important. One of the Key roles they play in the body is the synthesis of proteins which are essential for the building of muscles. Research shows that they improve protein synthesis by up to 145% which can help you meet your goals much more efficiently. The other major benefit to this is that it will ensure that your body does not break down your muscles to generate energy hence making them very helpful when it comes to preventing muscle loss.
- They Reduce Muscle Soreness – When you work out your muscles are normally torn apart and the rate at which this happens can be very high in an intense muscle work out program. Normally this would make one have very sore muscles which can hamper their progress as they will train less. However, supporting your nutrition with the BCAA supplements can be just what you need to overcome this obstacle. Studies have shown that when these supplements are taken after such an intense workout they help reduce the amount of soreness one would experience enabling them to train at the same intensity more frequently.
- They Help In Weight Loss – A good workout should always be accompanied by a good diet. However, even with a good diet, chances are high that you are going to gain some level of fat while at it. Now, this can be very counterproductive to your goals but the leucine found in BCAA supplements can be very vital in helping you counter it. Leucine in combination with other amino acids has been shown to play a very important role when it comes to the burning fat in the body for energy generation through fat oxidation. And this will lead to a significant fat loss in the body.
- They Are Good For Muscle Endurance and Fatigue Reduction – Several studies have been done to compare the efficiency of these supplements to other supplements during and after workouts and they have been shown to have tremendous results. Since they are in supplement form they are usually not digested and so will get absorbed into the bloodstream at a much faster rate which ensures their impact on protein synthesis can be felt immediately. So when you take them during your workouts they can prove very crucial for your endurance and also play a major role in the reduction of fatigue.
- They Protect the Liver and Reduce Kidney Failure – Research shows that taking these supplements leads to a significant rise of the hormone albumin in the bloodstream. Now, this hormone is known to be very efficient in reducing the risk of developing both Hepatitis and Liver Cirrhosis. Additionally, people who are involved in intense workout programs are normally expected to take in a lot of proteins to support the growth of muscles. However, these supplements are taken in an amino acid form which reduces your need to take in extra proteins which will leave you at the mercy of liver failure.
- They Are Vital for Preventing Heart Failure – People who take these supplements frequently normally show reduced chances of developing heart failure than people who do not. The reason being they normally lead to weight loss and a significant reduction in the heart rate while improving the heart function.
Side effects of The BCAA Supplements
- They are not ideal for use at least a month before or after surgery since they are known to affect blood sugar levels by a great margin.
- They are known to increase the margins of ammonia in the body which can lead to diverse brain disorders. But this only happens when they are taken in significant doses.
- They can lead to brain damage when taken by people who are alcoholic which normally results from liver damage.
- They are not ideal for people who experience frequent seizures as they lead to the acceleration of the condition.
How to Take BCAAs?
You can take your BCAAs in different forms depending on your needs; be it for your weight training or fat loss. Since some come in powder form you can easily mix them with your protein shake or smoothie. On the other hand, some come in the form of pills or capsules which you can take easily with water.
The ideal dosages are of 5-10 grams for over 2 -4 times organized around your workouts and goals. When you need to boost your energy levels ensure you take them just before or during your workouts. On the other hand, if you take them after your workouts they will play a major role in ensuring that you experience muscle soreness. Some people prefer to take them very early in the morning which is very vital to prevent muscle loss.
Therefore, taking these supplements may be just what you need to ensure you have adequate energy levels for your workouts and you experience sustained fat-loss. Although they come with numerous benefits they also come with some side effects that you need to be on the lookout for. But to be on the safe side ensure you are taking them in safe dosages that are just adequate for your needs.